Summer Music Institute
Discover the magic of making music with people who love the art as much as you do. Classical music comes alive in Sun Valley.
Surround yourself with other musicians. At The Institute, students at all levels interact with professional musicians and instructors. Opportunities abound for young musicians to meet Sun Valley Summer Symphony musicians and guest artists. Classical music has a home at The Institute.
July 24 – August 5, 2017
Training in strings, voice and piano for advanced high school juniors, seniors and college undergrads. APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 15, 2017.
July 31 – August 4, 2017
Music students elementary through high school study with Sun Valley Summer Symphony musicians and instructors, with programs for all music levels. And it is FUN!
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 1, 2017.
What is the Institute? An overview
What is the program?An exciting, engaging two-tiered summer music program that interfaces with Sun Valley Summer Symphony musicians, guest artists and conductors.
Who is the program designed to serve?The Encounter: Collegiate undergraduates as well as exceptional high school juniors and seniors with training in strings, voice and piano.
The Experience: Diverse program serving elementary through high school students in strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, voice, and piano. The program offers specific curriculum to support beginners and advanced students in each discipline.
When are The Workshops?The Encounter: A two-week program from July 24 – August 5, 2017
The Experience: A one-week program from July 31 – August 4, 2017
A brief descriptionAs part of its education programs, the Sun Valley Summer Symphony offers a multi-week program embracing students of all ages and abilities – The Summer Music Institute (“The Institute”). Through connections with Symphony musicians, guest artists and conductors, students experience unique, high-level educational opportunities as they explore their love for music. At The Institute, students interact with some of the leading classical musicians in the country. With two tiers defined by age and musical ability, the program provides private instruction, small and large ensemble experiences, electives and classes focused on technique, master classes, discussions, and outstanding live performances, as well as other educational opportunities.
The Workshops Goals
- To offer exceptional experiences to a diverse set of students with an interest in music at all levels.
- To create dynamic interactions between Sun Valley Summer Symphony musicians, guest artists and conductors, and curious music students.
- To introduce students to the rewards of participation, as artists and audience members, in a world-class music festival presented by an organization committed to music education.
- To connect music students at all levels to a passionate team of outstanding music educators.
- To create an environment where exceptional young music students explore their passions, ask meaningful questions, engage in powerful discussions, and make lasting discoveries.